Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Generic Update

I guess it's been a couple of days since I've written anything so here's what's been happening.
I spent the weekend with Jarom and as usual it was busy. We went to Jim and Kathy Hunts which is a regular occurrence when Jarom is in town and there is a home game. Jarom got his fill of the toys at their place and I got my fill of Kathy's cooking (she has had recipes published in Southern Living Magazine)!!
We then started to go to the family fun zone that the institute puts on a couple of hours before game time. The institute building is only 2 blocks from the stadium so they give out free hot dogs, brauts and water to passers by. They also have 3-54" HD televisions showing all the college games that are on for that adults. The kids can play on the giant air-field fun-houses and there is no alcohol or smoking allowed on the property! It's a ton of fun.
Well, as I said Jarom and I headed out but I realized that the temperature had dropped about 20 degrees from earlier that morning and we were not dressed for it.
We went home and bundled up in T-shirts, sweatshirts, coats and hats and headed on our way. We got there and found the free hotdogs and brauts but no fun houses! Well the wind was blowing from the north at about 20-30 mph so I guess they decided not to set them up :(
Well, Jarom and I went to dinner and found that the service is great during the game because the restaurants are empty! We played around for a while longer and then he went to bed and I hit the books.
It's a good thing I did too! I had a calculus test yesterday that was brutal! I fought through it and I actually think I did well. I tanked the question about finding the area of a non-right triangle with only two sides and an angle in radians given, then differentiating that equation to find the rate of change of the area as the angle increased by .05 radians/sec (huh, go figure, I bombed that one?)
This class has really challenged me. I'm going to do my best to get an A so that I can raise my GPA to over 3.4 and I can join the Honors Society on campus. The perks of that are smaller classes and better instructors so there's real incentive for me. The only draw back is the times of the classes but it might be a good trade off, especially since the math professors here are GENIUS' but they SUCK at teaching!
We'll see. Wish me luck that I did well!
Oh yeah, there is something really cool happening this Wednesday. Here's the background. There is this group on campus called the EWB and they donate their time and engineering knowledge to the community and also to help one international community per year. They are new here on campus and in need of funding. Well I really liked their goals and it just happened that PBS&J has a Foundation that gives money to these causes. We sent in an application and the company awarded $3000 to the EWB! We make the presentation tomorrow! I'll post pictures.
The other thing that came of it was that PBS&J felt that this was a cause that they wanted to support nation-wide and they want it to be an organized attempt so they needed someone to head it up. The amazing thing is they asked me to do that!!! I was shocked! So far it hasn't been anything but I'm working on making it something. We'll see how it goes.
Boy, that's a novel, sorry.

No comments: