Friday, October 20, 2006

A civil engineer much, much sooner than later!

Something really funny happened to me in my Civil Engineering class today. To give some background though, on Monday our professor sent out an email and asked us to go to the USGS website and see how much the local reservoir had filled with the heavy rains we had received over the weekend. Well, I haven't had anything to do at work for over a week and I was bored to tears, so I checked it out. (okay so maybe it's true that I was a bit bored but it's probably more true that I really was interested to know how much rain we got!)

So, today I was in class and the professor asked if anyone had done what he had suggested. No one raised their hand and I knew that he knew that I had done as suggested so I just left well enough alone and kept my mouth shut and hand down. In an attempt to be nonchalant and inconspicuous, I was having a quiet conversation with the guy next to me. Well, he heard the professor's question and in response said, "What kind of a nerd would you have to be to have gone and done that?"
Just then the instructor said, "I know one of you looked at this," then he looked directly at me and continued, "JD, you looked this up didn't you?"

I guess I knew I was tagged on both accounts, so I raised my hand and said, "Yes I did. I know I'm a loser!"
Well, I probably don't have to tell you that the guy next to me was really embarrassed. The good news is we kind of know one another pretty well so we had a good laugh over it. I mean, really, what are the chances that he would say that to me and I was the only one that was the "nerd" in class? (I can hear my brother and sisters saying, "We always knew he was a nerd!")

So I guess this is just more proof that I'm in the right profession. It's also proof that I will be a Civil Engineer much, much sooner than later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of nerdome! Once you enter you may never leave though!! I am glad to see that you seem to be doing better and look forward to keeping tabs on you. Have a great day!! Angie